Monday, June 07, 2004

Cell Phone Stops Bullet, Service Improved

South African businessman Andre Steyn was driving near a toll plaza outside Johannesburg when he heard shots being fired at him from men trying to hijack his truck. One of the shots passed through his hand before being stopped by his Nokia cell phone, preventing the bullet from entering his temple and killing him.

Steyn now says he is "happy to be alive" and reports that his Nokia phone seems to have been improved by the bullet still lodged inside it. "Like many people, I was often a victim of frequently dropped calls, microscopic coverage areas, and lousy customer service. The bullet took care of the first of those, at least," he said. Steyn reported that he was "a bit shook up" when he returned home from the hospital to find a Verizon bill totalling $699.99. "They charged me roaming fees when I was at the hospital because I was out of my coverage area," he said, frowning. "Then they fined me $500 for 'illegally tampering' with my phone and ordered me to remove the bullet or face further penalty fees."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home