Thursday, April 15, 2004

Blame Someone Else Day

Americans across the country took advantage of a little-known holiday to avoid paying their taxes by the April 15 deadline. April 13, known as Blame Someone Else Day, has inspired many to point their fingers at neighbors, relatives, the trade deficit, or even the supernatural to explain away the money they owe the government.

"I'm blaming 'The System,'" said Tulsa, Oklahoma resident Rob Nichols. "For the last few years I have been blaming 'The Man' so I figure it's time to shift the blame for my failure to pay taxes onto someone new this year."

Also getting into the spirit of the holiday was President Bush. The president, after being heavily criticized for his decision to allow National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice to testify before the 9/11 commission, had this to say: "Blame Someone Else Day influenced my choice enormously. If this decision ends up leading to disaster, I have decided, after much deep thought and hours of pondering, that I will blame Al Qaeda. I'm not used to shifting the blame from my own administration, but I find the experience liberating."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home